My design process in making an item by handcarving

From A Drawing to the Finished Product
I start by coming up with a design in my head, then I draw it out on paper.
I find by just doodling drawings help my creative side.
This way I can come up with something that I can change over a period of time, that then gives me a foundation for a design to use on something, I find certain designs I Come up with only go with certain items that I make. For instance, some designs don't go well with men's wallets. Some also don't go with women's shoulder bags. Just depends what you are feeling at the time.

The part I enjoy the most is designing designs, and then creating a unique pattern to use that design on. which is what makes all of my items unique one of a kind items.

I try never to make the same design again unless I use a different design, on the same pattern, or use different colored leather for each design. that way you never see the same item.
My daughter needed an Album to put her photos of my dad, for a keepssake.
So I came up with this design, which represents my dad's life as a horseman, Buck Jumping in his younger days, and also represents his Sunset (Passing). 
 I am very happy with this design, and my daughter was over the moon when i handed it to her.




















That's the completed Album from drawing to finished product. as you can see a terrible lot goes into making something so unique.
And also so very special for a keepsake, to hold all of those beautiful unforgettable memories of loved ones.



Comments